Our Founders / Our Founders

St. Matthew’s & St. Joseph’s Episcopal Church, now over 167 years old, has struggled over the years to provide for the needs of those who were denied employment training and opportunity, civil rights, political equality, cultural enrichment, social acceptance, and even nutrition.  Although the nationally registered historical building gives an appearance of permanence and stability, but the years of service have had their toll on it.

The Detroit Almanac, 300 Hundred Years of Life in The Motor City, identifies St. Matthew’s Church as the location of the first meeting place of the Detroit branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People held in 1921.


Today, a marker stands at Detroit’s Ford Field marking the original  location of St. Matthew’s Church at Woodward and Medbury.  It was in the 70′s that the two churchs came together in the present location.
In the past two years, this inner city Church has experienced a significant increase in attendance, due in part by the efforts of its Rector to reach  out into the community.  Now conducting 3 services each Sunday, and expanding outreach services through the formation of a non profit organization, St. Matthew’s & St. Joseph’s is continues it legacy of service.

In order to continue and grow these social service program, it was necessary to expand both knowledge and funding sources and to begin to focus on the non-profit process and collaborating with other organizations that can provide assessment, training,  (MacVean-Brown).
As religious organizations have assumed a new visibility in public life generally, they have also gained recognition as centrally important parts of the non-profit sector (Wuthnow, 1988; Wuthnow, Hodgkinson and Associates, 1990; Cherry and Sherrill, 1992; Demerath, Hall, Williams and Schmitt, 1998).